MPLS or multiprotocol label swtching domain has plenty of actions. It is one of the biggest mechanisms in the telecommunications network around the globe. The reason why it has become rather popular is because it:
- Routes network traffic with the help of short path labels rather than the conventional long network addresses. This makes it simpler and faster to route network traffic.
- Is compatible with quite a wide range of access technologies which include DSL, T1 and Frame Relay.
- Is highly scalable and can accommodate a large amount of data transmission.
- Is capable of doing away with dependence on a single type of access technology.
There is a lot of research that is going on as far as MPLS is concerned. And it is pretty interesting to look at the various things that are emerging and which have the potential to change the way the world communicates.
In quite a few parts of the world, in various academic and research facilities, there is a lot of work going on to check out architecture, network related and even the protocol itself concerned with MPLS. Some of the important areas where research seems to be progressing are:
- Support for traffic engineering with specific connection to MPLS networks
- Extension of the architecture of MPLS working mechanisms
- Testing on a Linux-based MPLS emulator
- Enhancing the security for enterprise deployments of MPLS
MPLS enabled applications
There is a lot of work being done to study MPLS enabled applications because they have the potential to change the way the MPLS protocol will be deployed in the future. Some of the biggest work as far as MPLS is concerned has been done by the IETF or Internet Engineering Task Force.
Given the capability of this protocol, developers have been able to come up with quite a huge spectrum of applications. One of the biggest reasons why MPLS enabled applications will become even more popular in the future is because this protocol is able to support network convergence.
MPLS enabled applications will encompass VPLS or virtual private LAN service, Layer 3 virtual private networks or L3VPNs and pseudo-wires among other things. With its capacity to support a variety of applications, MPLS will be a game changer as far as networking is concerned.
MPLS and networking
One of the biggest reasons why MPLS can become even more popular in the future is that it supports network convergence. By allowing network operators to use a single physical infrastructure and yet offer a wider range of services, MPLS goes a long way in reducing the operational costs and the management of network traffic.
MPLS is also capable of supporting various types of data traffic including voice, video, Internet and so on. Given the vast amounts of data that a business organization deals with, it also becomes important for it to enjoy something known as network resilience.
This basically means that the network will continue to be operational even if there is a failure on some portion in its infrastructure. There are quite a few network experts looking into network failure or resilience with specific connection to MPLS as well.
About the Author
James is a writer and blogger with 5 years experience.